Sunday, November 16, 2008

Under the Sea (baby sweater)



This is Raglan Sweater by Debbie Bliss (link is to her Ravelry pattern page) from the book "The Baby Knits Book", which has a lot of great patterns, all of which will make you want to have a baby. I made this for Debbie Singer's son Max, who I met today and who is totally delicious. I altered the sizing specs and added bottom ribbing (knit during Warren's mock trial) so it wasn't a midriff sweater, which I think is not a good look for a baby. :)




Yarn sub: I used Bernat Berella 4 in the Seascape Ombre colorway, which I love. Despite being the same gauge as the yarn suggested in the pattern, it knit up totally different. I'm thinking I am a loose knitter, even my dishcloths are like 2 sizes too big usually.

Pattern mods: I cast on 45, for the 0-3 months size. I knit it for 5.5 inches as per the 12 month size length, but then stopped the decreases at 23 sts (the 9 month size) so the neck was wide enough. Also added two more rows of st st to the neck edge before binding off (so did 4 instead of 2 rows). IMPORTANT NOTE: If I knit this again, I need to make the body longer, about 7 inches long instead of 5.5. The ribbing I added looks okay but I would've preferred the rolled hem.

For the sleeves, I cast on 30, per the smallest size. Knit the length to 7 inches before starting the decreases. Decreased until there were 18 sts left on needle (per the 9 month size).

All the SEAMING for this little baby sweater is NUTSO. Still, it came out super cute and was well-received by Debbie. Since the body was nowhere near long enough, I picked up 88 sts around the bottom cast on edge and knit about 2 inches of 2x2 ribbing.

1 comment:

dave said...

So cute and soft sweater dresses for newborn baby!! Thanks for sharing the tutorial...