Friday, October 12, 2007

CROCHET PATTERN: Red Spiral Slouchy Beret



Materials

Crochet Hook - Size I
Yarn: Red Heart - Cherry Red (less than one skein)

I started out making THIS hat and I don't know if it's me or the pattern, but I had a lot of trouble with the sizing (and I used the same materials and hook size). I noticed that the vertical lines on top of the hat were working up into a spiral for me, but I liked it better so I kept doing it. In order to get the spiral, I was doing the "fpdc" into the stitch to the left of the previous 'fpdc', hence working up into a spiral instead of a straight line. Anyway, it repeatedly came out HUMONGO, so I kept frogging it back. Finally I just decided to frog it back until it was a 10 inch diameter, per THIS pattern's specs. For me, a 10" diameter was achieved at Row 11 of the first pattern link. At Row 12, I stopped doing all 'fpdc'.

(Join rounds with sl st, then Ch 2 at the beginning of every round)
Row 12: hdc around, skipping over every fpdc
Rows 13 - 16: hdc around (100 sts)
Row 17: (hdc in next 10 sts, hdc2tog) around (10 times = 90 sts)
Row 18: (hdc in next 9 sts, hdc2tog, one hdc in next 4 sts, hdc2tog) around, +4 hdc
Row 19: (hdc in next 4 sts, hdc2tog) around (64 sts)
Row 20: (hdc in next 4 sts, hdc2tog) around, +4 hdc
Row 21: (sc in next 4 sts, hdc2tog) around, +5 sc (45 sts)
Row 22: sc around. Bind off.

No comments: